Call for Proposals – Natural capital risk explorer tool and website
The Natural Capital Finance Alliance (NCFA) is seeking to contract an entity to assist in the implementation of the Advancing Environmental Risk Management (AERM) project.
The contractor will work closely with the NCFA secretariat to develop a web-based tool that enables users in the financial sector to visualise the exposure of economic sectors to natural capital related risks according to their geographical location.
The contractor will also develop a web site around this tool to host the NCFA’s natural capital risk knowledge base, news and updates, and other associated features. The AERM project is funded by the Swiss Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) and the MAVA foundation.
- Scoping: Refining the project concept, defining final outputs and design, and validating these with the NCFA secretariat and financial sector users.
- Analysis of options for data backend: Assisting the NCFA secretariat in for the integration of this environmental data. In particular, it will be necessary to assess key data needs for the platform and evaluate whether existing data repositories, such as those forming the backend of existing tools like WRI’s Natural Resources Watch or UNEP’s MAP-X, can adequately fulfil these needs or if it is instead necessary to develop a bespoke backend for the platform. The implications for data updating, hosting and maintenance of the different options should also be assessed.
- Interactive tool development: Developing a tool and user interface that enables users to gain natural capital risk insight based on their selection of specific data filters as described above. Should be developed in both English and Spanish versions and work across main browsers.
- Website: Design and develop a website that hosts the tool and additional features described above. Should be developed in English with the possibility of adding other languages versions and work across main browsers.
- Usability testing: Assist the NCFA secretariat in conducting testing of the tool and key features of the website with financial sector users to ensure outputs are relevant, appropriate and easy to use.
- Content management system and training: The contractor will develop an easy to use content management system to enable administrators to amend data underlying the interactive tool and change parts of the website content. They will also provide training materials and training sessions for the NCFA secretariat on the use of the content management system.
- Hosting and support: hosting, support and maintenance services for a year should be included in the proposal but costed as a separate line item.
Proposal Submission Deadline: April 30th 2018
The NCFA is a collaboration with the finance sector to lead the integration of natural capital considerations into financial decision-making. The NCFA is jointly managed by UN Environment’s Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) and the Global Canopy Programme.
Download the full proposal document